The Mowery Family

The Mowery Family
The Mowery Family

Monty, Germaine, Manon Selah, Henna Madelyn, Judah Tal, Ezra Rooke, and Oak Justice

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Weddings and friends on the farm

This was the Saturday night special here at the farm - roasted dog! Our friends JH and family moved away, sadly. But, before they left they offered their dog to all other families but no one would take it (there is a reason). So, what do you do. . .cook it! Monty made the kids go down and eat a little - they liked it of course:). I find eating dog in the winter is really not bad. I don't know what it is about dog but it makes your insides feel hot, so it leaves you feeling warm and cozy on a cold evening. Don't worry, I don't pursue cooking it - I only eat it when I have to.

Here is another favorite food of my children - quail eggs. Manon especially loves them.
Here we are at a wedding of our good friends NL and YE. We have known the bride for about 6 years and the groom for 2. When we were at the wedding feast they called us into a room with just the close family members and the bride and groom. They asked Monty to speak about the roles of a husband and wife. He gave the part about a wife's role to me. As I was sharing Monty interrupted me and said, "They requested you ask them 'will you love, honor and respect your husband as long as you live' at the end of what you share." So, I added that part and Monty added it to his message. After this everyone clapped, we all shook hands and then ate a huge feast. Monty and I just kind of looked at each other confused asking, "did we just officially pronounce them man and wife?" Yes, we did. That was a first for the both of us. I wonder if they will have to annul the marriage if they learn that Monty is not actually ordained:).
This is "Big Momma" as she has asked that we call her. She and her husband, SL, live here on the farm and work with Monty. SL oversees all the farm work and Big Momma runs the kitchen and has been experimenting with making cheese. Big Momma loves Ezra! Ezra could not stand her in the beginning. He prefers the quiet, sweet Asian girls. Big Momma is a bit loud, always talking, and just pops over at the most unexpected hour. Ezra would scream every time she came near our house or he heard her voice. I did not force him to hang out with her and just told her - "I am sorry but he does not like you." That was not okay with Big Momma. I did try to spend time with her letting him see that I like to be with her but Ezra was always cautious and panicked if I moved or something - afraid I would leave him. She studied Ezra and figured out what he likes and does not. Oranges are his favorite fruit so she keeps them in her pocket to offer him bites when she sees him. Eventually he started wandering up to her on his own, reaching into her pocket. Before long he was asking to go down the hill to see her. And now, he is so comfortable with her that he falls asleep in her arms. She has won him over. My other children loved her from the beginning because in their words, "She makes the best food of any Asian person I know! "
Here is another wedding we recently attended. Our Chinese tutor, Wei Laoshi, got married! Manon and Henna got to be the flower girls and Manon was also the ring bearer. It was quite a big job! Manon was so nervous she would not understand the Chinese word for ring and miss her part - but she did great, stood at just the right moment, and did not loose the rings (that was my fear).
Here were some comments the girls made about the wedding: "This was the most beautiful wedding we have ever been to! Aren't the balloons in a heart shape so nice and the roses forming a cross are just lovely!" It is fun to hear my 7 and 5 year old talk like such little ladies.
Here is a picture with the bride in her banquet dress!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome pictures!! This all looks like so much fun!! Love Katie