Grandma learning how to get ahead in China. A pig head that is! Before Grandma left, she got to celebrate with us in a pig roast. Some friends from island nations joined us to prepare the pig "island style." It was so delicious! We were thankful for the month with Grandma and are already looking forward to next time. Potty Training!
Ezra is an official "Big boy." I usually potty train right after their second birthday, but this time I waited until he was about 28 months. He was ready but I felt too busy. 5 kids really takes a lot of time:). I need two full days to potty train as well as some extra bits of time for the next week to follow-up. Once we said good-bye to grandma, got back into school and had our helper back to help with cooking and cleaning, I bravely dove back into potty-training! Ezra got it really quick and made the entire process quite stress free - for which I am extremely thankful. He is still too short to stand up to pee, so I have to help him onto the potty, but other than that he is quite self-sufficient. I don't use little potties just because I don't like the mess. I basically follow the potty training in a day approach but tweak it to work with me and my teaching style. Ezra has not had an accident in two months and does not need pull-ups during naps or night! So I am happy to say that this is official! He now gets special "big boy" status in our household and the right to enjoy butter on his toast instead of just jam - (we reserve this privilege only for "big kids" in our house. Butter's hard to come by here and I often ration it.)

Two SUPERMEN to keep our home safe!
Judah made up this game. It involves sliding down from a bone-fracturing height on a splinter-ridden board which is rotting out in places and could collapse and break in two, hurling the passenger into a pile composed of rusted metal and bricks any second. Fun, right? This kind of thing terrifies me and I am usually overly cautious with the kids, not letting them entertain any thought of "play" around such obvious danger. I would like to minimize the opportunities to go on "potential hospitalization adventures." BUT, Monty, on the other hand...well, he usually is there cheering them on! Such was the case for this picture, and he was right, no one was seriously hurt. (notice I added the clarifier "seriously"). I am so thankful children have Daddies AND Mommies - we strike a nice balance.
We got a new children's cook book and Manon has been trying out some recipes - here is cat pizza. Don't worry, we did not use cat in the ingredients! Not anymore. :-)
Here I am hanging out with one of my "mom" friends. Xiao Zhang has a son just 6 weeks older than Oak and lives just a 1 minute walk from my house. It is fun to hang out, hold our babies and chat. She thinks I am a baby expert since this is my 5th but I am always learning from her. I love the enthusiasm that comes with your first child - the awe of realizing that you are this child's mother and you hold so much responsibility for their life. She even read "baby wise" in Chinese and has her son on a schedule and sleeping better than Oak at night. I am thankful for her friendship and the joy she brings to an "experienced" mom like myself who at times feels like I am just going through the motions. Being with XZ reminds me to snap out of it and make the most of every precious second with Oak.
Ezra is an official "Big boy." I usually potty train right after their second birthday, but this time I waited until he was about 28 months. He was ready but I felt too busy. 5 kids really takes a lot of time:). I need two full days to potty train as well as some extra bits of time for the next week to follow-up. Once we said good-bye to grandma, got back into school and had our helper back to help with cooking and cleaning, I bravely dove back into potty-training! Ezra got it really quick and made the entire process quite stress free - for which I am extremely thankful. He is still too short to stand up to pee, so I have to help him onto the potty, but other than that he is quite self-sufficient. I don't use little potties just because I don't like the mess. I basically follow the potty training in a day approach but tweak it to work with me and my teaching style. Ezra has not had an accident in two months and does not need pull-ups during naps or night! So I am happy to say that this is official! He now gets special "big boy" status in our household and the right to enjoy butter on his toast instead of just jam - (we reserve this privilege only for "big kids" in our house. Butter's hard to come by here and I often ration it.)Baby Daycare
When I am preparing a meal or busy and need some help with the little ones, Manon and Henna open up "Baby Daycare." This is a daycare they operate in our living room. Being fully registered of course, I check the boys in and the daycare staff prepare fun activities for the time. In the above picture they prepared a "Baby Moses Basket" for Oak out of the toy box and Manon made her own out of a suitcase.
Can you find Oak at baby daycare? The well-trained and competent staff wanted to be sure he did not get bored with the same toy over and over. The solution was to... well, just look at the picture.
When I am preparing a meal or busy and need some help with the little ones, Manon and Henna open up "Baby Daycare." This is a daycare they operate in our living room. Being fully registered of course, I check the boys in and the daycare staff prepare fun activities for the time. In the above picture they prepared a "Baby Moses Basket" for Oak out of the toy box and Manon made her own out of a suitcase.
Can you find Oak at baby daycare? The well-trained and competent staff wanted to be sure he did not get bored with the same toy over and over. The solution was to... well, just look at the picture. Sticker Chart date!
If you remember we have a new system for rewards in the form of a sticker chart for getting "caught being good." Judah and Ezra filled theirs up and readily cashed it in for a date with Daddy to the amusement park. Monty took them on the log ride. Judah loved it but Ezra was a bit shocked. The next time that I took them to the amusement park, Ezra refused to even go near the log ride. I promised the other kiddo's a ride on it but Ezzie decided to just sit out with Oak and watch.
If you remember we have a new system for rewards in the form of a sticker chart for getting "caught being good." Judah and Ezra filled theirs up and readily cashed it in for a date with Daddy to the amusement park. Monty took them on the log ride. Judah loved it but Ezra was a bit shocked. The next time that I took them to the amusement park, Ezra refused to even go near the log ride. I promised the other kiddo's a ride on it but Ezzie decided to just sit out with Oak and watch. 
Judah with the "Captain America" shield Daddy made for him out of my trash can lid! Mmmm...my HERO!
Two SUPERMEN to keep our home safe!
Judah made up this game. It involves sliding down from a bone-fracturing height on a splinter-ridden board which is rotting out in places and could collapse and break in two, hurling the passenger into a pile composed of rusted metal and bricks any second. Fun, right? This kind of thing terrifies me and I am usually overly cautious with the kids, not letting them entertain any thought of "play" around such obvious danger. I would like to minimize the opportunities to go on "potential hospitalization adventures." BUT, Monty, on the other hand...well, he usually is there cheering them on! Such was the case for this picture, and he was right, no one was seriously hurt. (notice I added the clarifier "seriously"). I am so thankful children have Daddies AND Mommies - we strike a nice balance.
We got a new children's cook book and Manon has been trying out some recipes - here is cat pizza. Don't worry, we did not use cat in the ingredients! Not anymore. :-)
Here I am hanging out with one of my "mom" friends. Xiao Zhang has a son just 6 weeks older than Oak and lives just a 1 minute walk from my house. It is fun to hang out, hold our babies and chat. She thinks I am a baby expert since this is my 5th but I am always learning from her. I love the enthusiasm that comes with your first child - the awe of realizing that you are this child's mother and you hold so much responsibility for their life. She even read "baby wise" in Chinese and has her son on a schedule and sleeping better than Oak at night. I am thankful for her friendship and the joy she brings to an "experienced" mom like myself who at times feels like I am just going through the motions. Being with XZ reminds me to snap out of it and make the most of every precious second with Oak.

1 comment:
Awesome pictures and stories!
Post a Comment