This spring I enrolled the girls in a dance class. They just had their first recital and it was a BIG event! I took dance growing up but the experience here in Lincang has been completely different than I experienced as a child. Their dance class meets every Saturday morning from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Three hours seems a bit long but there are about 40 girls in the class so I guess they have to take turns. Manon is good to pack a chapter book which she usually finishes before the class is over and Henna uses the free time between routines to make friends. Each class time costs about $3 so I feel like for the language and experience we all gain it is worth it. This picture is from the recital. I mentioned the recital to a few friends and over 20 of our good friends showed up to cheer the girls on. It was really encouraging for them! Manon and Henna were only in one routine, "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."
Here the girls are getting ready for the recital. The dance teacher mentioned to me that I should make sure the girls wear plenty of make-up and get their hair done professionally. I thought this seemed a bit much but since getting their hair done is only $2 each I figured it would be fun and money well spent. We ended up at a photography store to get their hair done. It is something like "Glamor Shots." When Chinese people get married they go to these stores to do their wedding photos in a western style wedding dress. The lady kept begging me to let her do their make-up but I figured I could handle that part. In the end she showered them with glitter! The girls loved the attention and getting all dolled up. When they finished I called Monty and warned him that their hair looked a little "bird-nesty." When we got to the recital hall and saw their friends I realized it was hardly extravagant at all.
Henna is getting the glitter poured all over any skin that showed.
Henna and Manon are with their best Chinese friend - Jingjing. It was Jingjing who talked us into joining her dance class. Her mother is a good friend of mine and used to come to our home to teach art class for the children.
Here Henna is with her "best" friend from dance class. The girl is about 12 but so sweet and kind to little 5 year old Henna.
Here is Judah in his boy class - Taekwondo! Every Saturday when I took the girls to dance class he would beg me to take him to a boy class. I asked what kind of class he would like and he said "a wrestling class." One day while Judah was sitting with me watching the girls in dance class one of the other moms came along. As we talked I realized her husband is a Taekwondo teacher and has a class going on at the same time the girls are in dance class. Judah is still a bit young and gets distracted easy in class so Monty or I attend with him. It is also a 3 hour class but we usually encourage him to make it through the first 45 minutes - that is the fun running part and review of the drills. After that I am usually panting hard and quite tired so I am happy when Judah says he has had enough for the day.

Here the girls are getting ready for the recital. The dance teacher mentioned to me that I should make sure the girls wear plenty of make-up and get their hair done professionally. I thought this seemed a bit much but since getting their hair done is only $2 each I figured it would be fun and money well spent. We ended up at a photography store to get their hair done. It is something like "Glamor Shots." When Chinese people get married they go to these stores to do their wedding photos in a western style wedding dress. The lady kept begging me to let her do their make-up but I figured I could handle that part. In the end she showered them with glitter! The girls loved the attention and getting all dolled up. When they finished I called Monty and warned him that their hair looked a little "bird-nesty." When we got to the recital hall and saw their friends I realized it was hardly extravagant at all.
Henna is getting the glitter poured all over any skin that showed.
Henna and Manon are with their best Chinese friend - Jingjing. It was Jingjing who talked us into joining her dance class. Her mother is a good friend of mine and used to come to our home to teach art class for the children.
Here Henna is with her "best" friend from dance class. The girl is about 12 but so sweet and kind to little 5 year old Henna.
Here is Judah in his boy class - Taekwondo! Every Saturday when I took the girls to dance class he would beg me to take him to a boy class. I asked what kind of class he would like and he said "a wrestling class." One day while Judah was sitting with me watching the girls in dance class one of the other moms came along. As we talked I realized her husband is a Taekwondo teacher and has a class going on at the same time the girls are in dance class. Judah is still a bit young and gets distracted easy in class so Monty or I attend with him. It is also a 3 hour class but we usually encourage him to make it through the first 45 minutes - that is the fun running part and review of the drills. After that I am usually panting hard and quite tired so I am happy when Judah says he has had enough for the day. 

No comments:
Post a Comment