The Mowery Family

The Mowery Family
The Mowery Family

Monty, Germaine, Manon Selah, Henna Madelyn, Judah Tal, Ezra Rooke, and Oak Justice

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Baby Signs and other hobbies


Judah doing the sign for "please."
Have any of you other mom's used baby signs? I am curious to know your thoughts now that your baby is older. We did not use baby signs with Manon nor Henna. Manon was an early talker as was Henna (but she only spoke Thai as a baby). Judah on the other hand, being a boy, would become frustrated when he wanted something and we were confused as to his needs. So, I decided to teach him baby signs. He loved it and it stopped much of his screams that were a result of miscommunication. Now, he is 19 months old and has about a 40 word vocabulary (maybe 10 of the words in Chinese) but when it comes to a word he knows the sign for he refuses to say it. Today I was going through a list of words with him and he would repeat every word except "please, thank you, more, all gone, thirsty, hungry," and "sorry." On those words he would only sign. So my question is - will he ever say these words or is he going to grow into a man who puts his hand to his mouth every time he wants to express his thankfulness:).
I must say that Judah is very thankful - he does the sign for thank you if I give him anything, get a toy down for him, sit and play for a few minutes, give him a snack or whatever.
A few other hobbies
One day I went outside to find Judah laying on his back watching the clouds roll by. He seemed content until the dogs discovered him and thought he needed some kisses.

We have been teaching our kids to play "ultimate Frisbee" since we almost have a big enough family to form a team!
And of course he is always up for a game of catch.

Bug collecting is also a hobby of his. He finds some of the strangest bugs but holds on to them for a good hour while watching them crawl on his arm. A few die in the process of examination.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Keely was like that for awhile on the signs, but for the most part now does both signs and says the word-- she has a couple words that she tends to do just one or the other. I remember being surprised just a couple weeks ago that she was saying most of her signed words. So, I'm sure Judah will soon too!! That's too cute of him laying on the grass with the dogs!

Anonymous said...

Right now, our little guy only says some words in English, other words are in Chinese and the rest of the words are in sign. He totally understands everything, but he is only choosing to say or sign certain words. I'm sure it will all come together faster than I realize. Loved the photo of Judah looking at the clouds.

Sarah said...

No worries, Nathan did the same thing. I think the "sign" he held on to the longest was thank you. But he eventually stopped signing and today is fully able to say all the words. The signs are very helpful when they can't quite get the words out!!

Anonymous said...

How funny. I can just picture him rubbing his chest happily, so thankful for his mamma! I love all the pics. Judah is way way ahead in language development living with little Manon and Henna(?)... I assume they speak/chat to him in English most of the time? Remember all Betsy's classes.. I use that all the time when I teach... just listen listen listen, eventually you will open your mouth and what you are trying to communicate in your brain will audibly come out of your mouth! (in whichever language you need) I can't wait to see him. Maybe we can have a little preschool discussion in sign language!... or English, if he feels like it! We love you guys!! Love Katie

PS Once Sam started talking, he NEVER stopped. We had silence for 25 months, and thought he was just a quiet guy. Now he is stating his grievances over choices of dinner vegetables using four syllable words and complex comparisons and idioms. They DO listen to everything!