The Mowery Family

The Mowery Family
The Mowery Family

Monty, Germaine, Manon Selah, Henna Madelyn, Judah Tal, Ezra Rooke, and Oak Justice

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Good-bye Uncle Gary

Uncle Gary passed away on July 8th, 2009 - on the day of his 65th birthday.

This photo was exactly one month before his death. He and Aunt Mary came to OKC and met us at the zoo. We had a great day. This was one of his last good days before his death and I am so thankful we were able to share it with him.

At his funeral I shared these words. . .

Uncle Gary was so much more than an uncle.

He has been a part of my life throughout the years. As I got older and my father’s health was failing, Uncle Gary stepped in and loved and cared for me just as a father. I am forever grateful for his guidance, encouragement and love. For me I had always felt a strong calling to go to China since I was in college. Uncle Gary did not discourage it but would have rather planned my life in a different direction. Even though he did not understand my reasons he sent Monty and I off with his blessing and everything we would need to be in touch such as a digital camera and lap top.

One of the things I respect most about Uncle Gary was his love for his wife. He was always crazy in love with Mary. A hopeless romantic. He was able to tease Aunt Mary in a way that made her face completely light up. I don’t know how many times I walked in on them kissing – too many to count because they were always kissing! He took such good care of his wife.

As you all know, Uncle Gary was not a religious man. He saw the hypocrisy in religion and knew that was not for him. What Uncle Gary loved were relationships. One of our very last conversations before his death was about relationships. I thanked him for his input into my life and the sweet relationship we shared together. At this point I saw him cry – which he had not done since his own father’s death. I realized he was thinking about his own death and needed to talk about it. As we talked and cried together that afternoon I shared with him about Jesus, and the relationship He desires to have with him. At that point Uncle Gary said, “I am a hypocrite to live my life without God and then believe on my death bed.” I shared with him about the two thieves on the cross who were crucified next to Jesus and how one hurled insults and the other recognized Jesus for who he was. I asked him if he wanted to recognize Jesus as Lord of his life and begin a relationship with Him. he said “sign me up!” As hard as it is to loose someone so incredibly special I have complete peace knowing that he is indeed in heaven and will be country dancing through out eternity.

Thankfully Aunt Mary and Uncle Gary had their pool - one I have spent every summer second in since 1984. It was great to share the same pool I learned to dive and swim in with my children.
This is Henna our little rock climber showing off for Uncle Gary on our zoo outing. She was so proud for him to see her climb so high.
Manon is enjoying fishing in Uncle Gary's pond. Below she and Henna are getting to know their cousins Noah and Aidan.

Aunt Mary is getting some Ezra snuggles.

Here Monty and I are with my cousin Steven and his wife Michelle. Steven is my only cousin - I am from a small family.

No comments: